The ECA acknowledges three types of membership:
- Individual Members: Individual scientists joining ECA as members of the association.
- Corporate Affiliate Members: Legal bodies (institutions or corporations.
- National Members: National adhering bodies, usually Crystallography Associations or Committees.
The ECA wish to promote individual membership as the expression of personal scientific commitment to the development of crystallography. The ECA awards prizes, supports meetings, schools, conferences, workshops and grants bursaries to participants. Member fees are a contribution to these activities. In addition, Individual members:
- are encouraged to participate in the organisation of scientific programmes via the SIGs, and in transversal and networking programmes via the GIGs
- pay reduced fees at the European Crystallographic Meetings and are recognisable by distinctive badges
- get discounts for books and journals published by Taylor & Francis
- participate in decision making within the ECA through their elected representatives in the Council
- are represented in the IUCr via the ECA, even if their country does not have representatives in the IUCr.