The Crystallization Competition in the School is an innovative contest on Crystallography and Crystallization for young students aged 12-16. It is organised in Spain and coordinated by the Spanish Specialized Group of Crystallography and Crystal Growth (GE3C).
During the 2013/2014 school year the Competition is organised in 7 geographical areas hosting 7 intermediate finals: Andalucía, Aragón, Asturias, Canarias, Cataluña, Madrid, and Valencia.Then, the best crystallization projects from each area will be selected to present their crystallization projects in the National Final at the headquarters of the Spanish National Research Council CSIC in Madrid in May 2014.
1. To stimulate scientific vocations among secondary school pupils and to attract a general interest towards science.
2. To explain basic concepts of Crystallography and Crystallization taking advantage of the natural attraction of crystal growth.
3. To communicate how researchers work and compete in a scientific environment.
4. To bridge the gap between Science and Society by explaining the importance of Crystallography in everyday life.
5. To convey science as an enjoyable, fun and enriching activity.